Monday, April 20, 2009

"So what's next?"

"We should all be working constantly at using our talents to better the world. We are but a sea of one defined not as Pacific Islanders but by the space that surrounds us."

This quote came from a memorial ceremony I attended tonight at the USP campus where I attend school. I was not prepared for it but, was so compelled and moved by this experience tonight. I got an email saying the ceremony tonight should be attended in lieu of my cultural class that is held each Monday. I didn't know what to expect other then there would be performers. I was PLEASANTLY surprised to say the least. It was the most emotional and touching experience on campus so far. Makes my top five so far in Fiji. I got there to find out that the person who started the center of the arts here on campus passed away earlier this year and it was a dedication/memorial to him. I still didn't know what to expect but, sat back observing. Soon though my whole body was involved. I was listening so intently and I felt "in" the moment. I can't describe it to anyone except what this man was saying was so beautiful.

It started with an opening prayer (which I LOVE that they pray here for everything) the pastor talked about how the sea units us all no matter what land we are from and that each country is tied together with the Earth and global issues. He said we are "one" and no matter if our blood line is Pacific we are all the same. He went on to briefly discuss this amazing mans life and then stated that we are to use our gifts to reach out to others. I was so moved and hanging on this mans every word. I can't imagine how it was when Christ was alive himself and talked. God was really working through this man... I wish I could remember his every word it was so beautiful. Then about 4 girls and 3 boys entered the stage and danced a memorial dance. AND actually the song they were singing to was the man singing who had passed away. IT was so beautiful he was singing only as I can relate to you all as Hawaiian/Pacific islander music with the windpipes in the background. The people danced and cried at the same time. Their arms and legs moved in unison and flowed like a petal in the wind almost. It was amazing. I was so drawn to their emotions/ movements.

Next 6 people recited poets. I am not much of a poetry fan but, it was nice to hear what these people wrote.

After this was a man who had invented this instrument called the "bampipes" I think.. it is 7 things of bamboo and he hits it with a metal thing that looks like sole of a shoe. He played this music with other wooden instruments and a few more people and it was beautiful. They sold their CD and some of us bought it after. I am so excited it's so "islander."

More dancing followed by this dance group and I couldn't stop watching them. They did a warrior dance and then a final dance. We were all so intrigued I almost forgot where I was... OH YEAH FREAKING FIJI!!!!! I must mention also that during the instruments I whipped out my bible and read Corinthians in the middle of it. I felt so compelled and motivated. haha so me though huh? It was so relaxing.

The last song the musicians played was called "the first" because how he explained it the last of something is always the beginning of something new... it's the first. Lastly, his wife came up and I will leave you with a quote she said...

"Just because a drop from the body of water is gone doesn't mean the body can't keep living thriving, breathing, prospering." or something to this extent... I related this to Christianity as in just because Christ isn't here doesn't mean we can't stop seeking, spreading, and searching for the Lord.

I am in such a thoughtful... mood. I can't think of the right words to use at this time.
GOD is GOOD ALL THE TIME. ALL THE TIME GOD IS GOOD.

(something I learned at a Fijian Church)

SO I ask you today "What's next in your life?" What will you make of today?

No comments:

Post a Comment