Friday, April 3, 2009

Lift up your eyes and don't stand still!

So I have been thinking is it really possible for someone to change their view of the world completely in 8 weeks? I think so.

The weather here has changed a bit. It's now Fiji winter. If you can even call it that! It is about 75 today and breezy. Nice change from the 100 degree sweat- every- ounce -of -water -out -of -your body... heat. It still doesn't even feel like I am in school. Everything is so laid back until the tests and then your expected to regurgitate every piece of information the professors have given. Although I know I will do fine motivation is low since our grades don't transfer back home and all we need is C's to get the credit. I guess I am here for more of the cultural experience which of course I am getting.

I have become quite the listener of David Barnes. His music is pretty amazing so if you get the chance have a listen. Life in Fiji continues to be challenging and such a growing experience. Everyday I wake up and I am the minority. I asked for this. I wanted it. But, It doesn't change the fact that it sometimes is disheartening. Last night our taxi driver tried telling me that the ride from downtown to the dorms was $6.50. Every other ride was about $2.00 I proceeded to tell him that was ridiculous and that he can't do that. He tried not letting me get out of the taxi but, I jumped out. I was mad at first and then I couldn't help but laugh. I only gave him $4.00 which still is much more then it should have been. The point of this story is that everyday (because of my skin color) I am put to the test. I am stared at because I look so different then everyone here.

The last two weekends we have stayed in Suva. Suva is the city we are living in. It is definitely a city. Suva is the capital of Fiji! Although I love the island traveling Suva has become somewhat of a home to me. It even has a McDonalds,Pizza hut, and KFC! All so healthy... Yesterday I was in town with a friend of mine I met named Mike. He showed me a busy city street. I felt at home because for the first time I didn't get harassed. Mike and I decided two days a week or so, we want to pick a spot in the city and just hang out. There is a beautiful park in the middle of the city. I have to try to convince him to bring his guitar! It makes me feel like a local...almost :)
Our Spring Break is coming up in a week! We are going to the other main island of Fiji called Taveuni. I am so excited it's supposed to be beautiful. And of course I will be ready to get nice and tan again as well as get out of the city. I am not much of a city girl at all!

I have also made a commitment to myself that I am going to read the bible here day and night. I know I won't be able to every time but, I want to continue to grow closer to God and get to know him as best as I can. Being in Fiji shouldn't stop me from continuing the walk with the big man upstairs.

On a last note. The mange dogs here have gotten out of control. The dogs here which I call "Fiji dogs" are crazy. They are like a pack of wolves and roam the streets looking for trouble. They mostly leave us humans alone but, still when I turn a corner and literally twenty dogs are in a pack I can't help but want to run as fast as I can in the other direction! They are mixed muts and some have chunks of face missing from dog fights. Sometimes I feel sorry for them but, they smell like a rotting carpus. They remind me of the dogs in Mexico.

That's all for now. I am finding this blog is much easier then my two paper journals but, in twenty years I won't be able to look back on this. Just another thing to add to the list of things to do to keep up my other journals.

No comments:

Post a Comment