Monday, April 6, 2009

The children

Since I have been here I have been volunteering a bit in the kindergarten on campus and have learned some interesting things I thought I could blog about. The kindergarten consists of about fifty children and about two certified teachers. I am not sure if the children really learn much because they run around everywhere like crazy children! I learned back in the United States that children learn by interacting and by play. I think here they really emphasize that too. I felt for the teachers who looked a little stressed but, again the way of life here is so relaxed and calm. They teachers kept a VERY calm collected composure and the children respond to that. I also learned that the first born child can be taken by the husbands parents and they can raise them. This was really interesting to me because I wouldn't want my child to be raised without me but, it's just the culture here and it's very different!

I have been thinking. I can't remember if I talked about what I miss back home. I don't miss anything materialistic at all. I miss milk. I miss people. Country music. I also miss watching American sports on TV. I would like to add that today is opening day for THE CUBBIES!! I realize how much I wish home to see them play. Although I miss these things I have to admit that it's nothing compared to living here in Fiji. Fiji has been the best experience I could have ever asked for. It has been life changing and it's just about half begun. I am striving to be the best person that I can be for me and for God. I am trying to work on being patience (cause boy do you need it here) haha.

This next week we have school off and we are heading to the Northern Island of Fiji. Called Taveuni. I think Bryan and I are going to Savu Savu first and then meeting up with our group in Taveuni on Thursday. I am really excited to get out of the city and be on the beach again.

No comments:

Post a Comment